Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tannura dance

Tannura

Have you ever seen Tannura dance? It’s spectacular and the music is very beautiful! Moreover, it has some strange effect on me: my head starts spinning and waging !

Lucky me… recently I attended a party where organizers invited a band of artists. Among the performances was the Tannura dance. By the way, Tannura is an Egyptian folk dance derived from the whirling dance performed as a Sufi religious practice. The dancers are men only in large skirts who constantly spin. They spin for a prolonged period (can be up to 40 minutes of continuous spinning). In this dance, they actually do not do anything but spinning but you cannot take your eye off them.

My cell phone allowed me to record almost the entire dance. But to be able to upload it here I had to compress the file. That is why the quality is low. Nevertheless, it gives an idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment